Before you consider a Wi-Fi extender, consider this scenario. The day has commenced, and your deadlines are up to your neck. The kids are finally seated to do their homework. Your important emails are only a click away, and you must tick some work off your to-do list. That is when it happens. The website starts loading, loading, and keeps loading.
The pandemic struck world has already restricted millions across the globe to work from home, and given the circumstances, a bad Wi-Fi signal is the last thing you need. Since a lot of people shelter in place and work from home more than they used to, it is extremely important to figure out a way to make your internet connection faster.
The good news is that with a Wi-fi extender even the dead zones around your house can now be covered. This device provides ample amount of Wi-Fi signal throughout the premises. Use this quick overview of the 5 best Wi-Fi extenders you can buy to boost your connectivity.
What is a Wi-Fi Extender and How Does it Work?
A Wi-Fi extender is a device that is connected to your existing Wi-Fi router to help extend its signals across the dead zones in your house. It connects either through a wired connection or wirelessly, depending on the type of Wi-Fi device you have. All you need is a router attached to your internet device for an extender to work. The extender usually sits between your Wi-Fi router and the area where you require strong Wi-Fi coverage.
An extender basically acts as a middle-man to enhance the connection from one point to another. As soon as a connection between your router and an internet-connected device has been established, the Wi-Fi extender takes hold of the existing signal and re-broadcasts it on a different channel using its position. This allows a wider range of signals to reach your entire household.
However, for optimal performance, the Wi-Fi extender must be close enough to the router to grab the signals but also far enough to be able to broadcast those signals to the area where you need a stronger connection.
The Top 5 Wi-Fi Extenders
The Netgear Nighthawk X6S EX8000 provides you with a congestion-free path for all your devices to connect to the internet.
- It gives you coverage of up to 2500 square feet and allows you to connect over 50 devices such as smartphones, laptops, tablets, speakers, and more.
- It has FastLane3 technology that features Tri-Band Wi-Fi with up to 3Gbps speed.
- The frequency is up to 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz (Dual-Band)
- It has 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- 1 x USB 2.0 Port
- It provides WPA/WPA2-PSK and WEP encryption
- The browser is easy to install
- It comes with a power on/off button
- It is priced at $199.99
The top-tier extender Netgear Nighthawk X6 EX7700 is packed with several features and performs reliably.
- It gives you coverage of up to 2300 square feet and allows you to use up to 45 devices.
- Moreover, it has 2200 Mbps worth of performance. They accomplish this using a patented tri-band FastLane3 technology. This is good news for multiplayer gaming and for using streaming features.
- Wired Ethernet ports: You can easily plug-in game consoles or any other wired devices into the 2 Gigabit ports for higher speed.
- Protected and secure: It also supports wireless security protocols such as WPA/WPA2 and WEP.
- Convenient to setup: Connect the device to your router by simply pressing the WPS button. For ideal location, operate the Netgear Wi-Fi Analyzer application.
- Smart roaming: It uses your current network SSID name, so you are never disconnected as you move freely around your office or home.
- It is priced at $182.98
The TP-Link RE650 AC2600 Extender is a huge plug-in model that gives you lots of power for a great range and one of the biggest coverage areas as compared to its competitors.
- It expands the reach of your Wi-Fi network for as far as 14000 square feet
- 4-Stream for AC2600 Dual Band Wi-Fi – It provides a bandwidth of 1733Mbps on 5GHz. At the same time, it also provides a bandwidth of 800Mbps on 2.4 GHz.
- 4×4 MU-MIMO – It redirects data to more than one device at the same time for four times quicker performance.
- Beamforming Technology –It transfers selected Wi-Fi signals to separate devices for a powerful connection
- Gigabit Ethernet Port – It provides a strong wired connection to computers, smart TVs, and gaming devices.
- AP Mode – It forms a new point where you can access Wi-Fi. This way you could boost your wired network’s performance with the Wi-Fi potential.
- TP-LINK Tether Application – It enables you to access as well as control your network through any available Android or iOS mobile device
- It is currently priced at $119.99
The D-Link DAP-1650 is a reasonably priced four-port extender that also works as an access point and a media server and offers solid 5GHz performance.
It is inclusive of:
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports: It provides a high speed wired connection for up to four devices/ PC's
- Dual-Band Connectivity: It ensures reduced interference and greater flexibility
- Wireless AC: It provides a wireless connection for devices
- Encryption: It offers WPA2™ or WPA™ security
- Flexible: The device is compatible with any brand of wireless routers
- Wi-Fi Protected Setup: It comes with a push-button to connect easily to a wireless network
- It is currently priced at $219.99
The Linksys Velop Wi-Fi extender provides home wide mesh coverage. It uses several routers that work together to extend the range of your Wi-Fi signal.
- It provides coverage for up to 4500 square feet.
- It provides efficient and solid Wi-Fi coverage to facilitate gaming, streaming for upto 4K and much more.
- It uses any available ISP to link to your modem.
- It has a simple setup process through the easy to use link.
- It provides dual-band connectivity speeds (867 + 400 Mbps)
- It is priced at $99.99
WiFi Extender Demand is Increasing!
As more and more people are switching to remote working at home, the demand for a strong wifi signal is extremely important. As the demand has increased for wifi extenders, many of the big brands are constantly selling out. Check out some of the best wifi extenders that continually sell out. Make sure to act fast if you find a wifi extender that fits your needs.